Sunday, November 25, 2007

Acceptance

Maybe acceptance means acknowledging that a person's weaknesses, flaws, and differences simply exist....rather than wasting time and energy in pretending the weaknesses, flaws and differences don't exist. Maybe time spent wishing our loved ones would change to suit us would be better spent in giving unconditional love.

I have spent a lot of time this weekend coming to terms with my own failings. I feel bad for the time I have wasted in fruitless wishing and hoping when I could have been living and loving. I spent so much time laying blame that I forgot about my own failings.

Acceptance doesn't mean condoning things that are wrong. It doesn't mean doing things we don't want to in a vain effort to try and fix things. It doesn't mean denying others, and ourselves, love when we don't get our way.

I am not proud of some of the things I have done. I may not like some of the things he has done, but that's ok. I need to accept that he isn't perfect. I need to rely on the one thing I can truly trust in our relationship. He loves me. Sometimes, he shuts down emotionally and the love isn't as easily apparent. But it's there. And maybe if I am a little more accepting and willing to love unconditionally, he can feel free and safe to do the same.

No comments: